STARTING AT / PER PERSON
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE STORY
Join People-First Tourism in this journey with the traditional people of Northern Portugal - the Transmontanos. This 8 day journey takes you centuries back in time - to an age when people diligently farmed heirloom vegetables and fruits, and carefully cared for small-stock because they wanted to know what they ate, and because it just made sense to be self-sufficient and resourceful.
This region is well-known for its rich food and wine culture. Participants in this P1t Journey will be welcomed into the homes, farms, vineyards and cellars of local people to sample and learn about the fruits of their labor.
P1t will lodge you in Quinta da Mata, a 17th century manor home and permaculture farm owned by a local family with multi-generational roots in the region. This farm provides rustic comfort to all its guests, as well as delicious traditional meals using products from its vegetable garden and pastures.
These Tras-os-Montes communities will involve you in experiences such as :
- Touching and tasting farm walk with Luis Morais, permaculture farmer and chef
- The making of traditional baskets used in harvests and for food storage
- Grape-stomping in a communal wine-making (seasonal in September and October)
- Sampling of fresh farm products during guided visit to local farmers market
- Regional tapas and wine sampling walkabout in the historic town of Chaves
Your Transmontano hosts will include :
- The Morais family that runs Quinta da Mata and collaborate with neighboring farmers, craftspeople and community coops
- Small traditional farmers that grow vegetables and make wine for sale in informal local markets
- Taverna owner who sources ham from a trusted network of artisanal micro-producer
P1T JOURNEY CONCEPT
P1t Journeys are customized experiences for discerning travelers interested in expanding their lives through immersions in genuine communities eager to share their culture and lives with appreciative guests. We work with trusted communities to provide intimate, multi-day experiences that involve travelers in the often unseen worlds of real people in real places.
Interacting with unfamiliar people and exotic cultures can be enlightening and transformative; it can help us grow as human beings. To make such experiences accessible to discerning travelers, we use local community ambassadors that tactfully help our travelers navigate the culture of their hosts, and help the travelers convert the fun and exciting experiences into meaningful life lessons.
Our travelers have unique access to locals vetted by public and nonprofit organizations and that have developed experiences in consultation with P1t. We work with local people who are passionate about their culture and their community and who are eager to earn some income from interacting with visitors. As a result, visiting a community through one of our P1t Journeys creates local economic development opportunities and helps elevate local cultures and identities.